The Domain Transfer Process
Domain Transfer Process Details
When you request a domain name transfer, this is the first action in a chain of events involved in transferring a domain:
- You request transfer with new registrar
- New registrar sends an email to the administrative contact in the WHOIS database, to approve transfer.
- Administrative Contact confirms the transfer request and provides the AUTH code for the domain. It’s best to ensure you are listed as the administrative contact and obtain the unlock code from your current registrar before requesting transfer to ensure the request is confirmed. If confirmation is not received within five days, the transfer request will fail and you will have to initiate the request again.
- The new registrar will then send an email to the organization that manages the TLD (top level domain like .de, .com, .blog, .shop) extension.
- Provided there is no reason not to release the domain, the managing body will send an email to the old registrar, for confirmation of the release. At this point if no reply is received within five days, the domain will pass to the new registrar by default.
- Your new registrar will send you an email notifying you the transfer is complete. In most cases the DNS information will be copied from the old registrar to the new as part of the process, but if this does not happen, you may need to log into your new registrar’s account control panel and enter the DNS information manually.
Reasons a Domain Name Transfer Might Fail
The domain is locked, pending deletion, in a redemption period or inactive. Domains cannot be transferred for 60 days after initial registration or transfer. They will also not be released if they are the subject of legal disputes, such as over ownership or payments due. So before initiating a transfer, make sure your domain is in good standing and ask your old registrar to remove any domain locks, or log into the control panel and remove them manually.
How to initiate a transfer with FullSail Systems?
That is fairly easy. Let us describe it with two scenarios:
- You are a new customer with us, bringing in your existing domain name from another registrar: Simply put your existing domain into your shopping cart during the FullSail Systems checkout process. If the WHOIS request finds the existing domain, it will start with you the transfer process (find general information about the transfer process here
- You are an existing customer who wants to bring in another existing domain to us:
Simply go to your account under my.fullsailsystems.com and add this domain to a shopping cart. As stated before: If the WHOIS request finds the existing domain, it will start with you the transfer process (find general information about the transfer process here)